Who are you?
Do you have a passion for Fresh Produce? Do you thrive in a hands-on environment where you can develop your skills and grow with your company? Does your attention to detail set you apart from the rest?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, then Gambles may be the right fit for you!
Who are we?
At Gambles, produce is everything. Our business provides the widest assortment of top-quality fruits and vegetables for the wholesale, foodservice, and retail sectors. With a history dating back to the early 1900s, Gambles has grown and evolved into one of the largest produce wholesalers in all of Ontario. Our goal is to not only be the supplier of choice for all of our customer’s needs, but also an employer of choice for “top talent” candidates and employees.
Our people are the backbone of our business, which is why we are continuously looking to develop our people and bring super-stars onto our team! We have a “hire-from-within” mentality at Gambles, which means we put extra focus on developing our people and giving them unique career advancement opportunities. Just like our products and our customer base, we love to see our people grow!
We offer a competitive benefits package with employer-covered health and dental benefits (you don’t pay the premiums!) and a company-matched Pension Program for our full-time employees who have at least 12 continuous months of service.
Plus, we have a stellar Social Committee that works to plan fun events and activities to support our culture at Gambles! At Gambles you won’t just get a job, you’ll get a second family.
We have two locations which are both in Etobicoke, Ontario – the Ontario Food Terminal located at 165 the Queensway and our Distribution Centre at 302 Dwight Avenue.
The Ontario Food Terminal is Canada’s largest wholesale Fruit and Produce Terminal. It ranks amongst the top four Terminal Markets in Canada and the United States by volume of produce distributed.
Gambles services a variety of customers out of the Terminal including local farmers, local fruit and vegetable stores, independent and chain supermarkets, retailers, restaurateurs, foodservice, caterers, farmers’ markets, farm gate markets, florists, garden centres, landscapers, convenience stores and institutions.
Our Distribution Centre is a state-of-the-art 65,000ft facility that caters to our program retail and foodservice accounts.
Reporting to the Inventory & Quality Control Manager, the Fresh Produce Inspector’s role is to complete produce inspections and provide inspection details to the sales team. Since produce is highly perishable, you will be working in a fast-paced environment. Your ability to verify the quality and condition of incoming produce and compare to CFIA/USDA standards will help assure the quality and freshness of our products quickly and correctly.
This role functions primarily out of our Distribution Centre, located at 302 Dwight Avenue. However, you may also be required to work out of the Ontario Food Terminal on occasion. This role requires flexibility to work early mornings and weekends.
- Maintain and enforce Gambles’ quality specifications.
- Perform and report quality assessments during live inbound receiving
- Follow up on any items already received, put-away; but not quality-controlled
- Outbound quality control checks for select customers
- Fulfilling quality reporting requests (photos, weight, size, avg counts, etc.)
- Daily review of cooler checklist to identify and report sub-par product for disposition
- #2/Rejection/Return, assessment, reporting, and handling (transfers, RTS coordination)
- 3rd Party Inspections
- Coordinate CFIA inspections as required
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Intermediate computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Familiar with use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Self-starter that identifies priorities and takes initiative
- Flexible and adaptable to an ever-changing environment
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to manage priorities and meet deadlines
The following would be considered welcomed assets …
- Knowledge of HACCP considered an asset
- Knowledge of SQF considered an asset
Interested parties should apply to email@example.com
Please note that Gambles Group is an equal opportunity employer located in a heritage building with our main office at 165 The Queensway, Suite 240. During the recruitment process, if you require any accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in order to notify us of your required arrangements.
|Job Category||Quality Control, Sales, Warehouse|