Who are you?
You are a driven customs and logistics professional looking to grow your career at an industry-leading company. You have a proven ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders. Your high attention to detail and organizational skills set you apart from the rest. You aren’t afraid to jump in wherever you are needed and stretch yourself beyond your job description!
Who are we?
At Gambles, produce is everything. Our business provides the widest assortment of top-quality fruits and vegetables for the wholesale, foodservice and retail sectors. With a history dating back to the early 1900s, Gambles has grown and evolved into one of the largest produce wholesalers in all of Ontario. Our goal is to not only be the supplier of choice for all our customer’s needs, but also an employer of choice for “top talent” candidates and employees.
Our people are the backbone of our business, which is why we are continuously looking to develop our people and bring super-stars onto our team! We have a “hire-from-within” mentality at Gambles, which means we put extra focus on developing our people and giving them unique career advancement opportunities. Just like our products and our customer base, we love to see our people grow!
Plus, we have a stellar Social Committee that works to plan fun events and activities to support our culture at Gambles! At Gambles you won’t just get a job, you’ll get a second family.
We have two locations which are both in Etobicoke, Ontario – the Ontario Food Terminal located at 165 the Queensway and our Distribution Centre at 302 Dwight Avenue.
The Ontario Food Terminal is Canada’s largest wholesale Fruit and Produce Terminal. It ranks amongst the top four Terminal Markets in Canada and the United States by volume of produce distributed.
Gambles services a variety of customers out of the Terminal including local farmers, local fruit and vegetable stores, independent and chain supermarkets, retailers, restaurateurs, foodservice, caterers, farmers’ markets, farm gate markets, florists, garden centres, landscapers, convenience stores and institutions.
Our Distribution Centre is a state-of-the-art 65,000ft facility that caters to our program retail and foodservice accounts.
The Import Logistics Coordinator is one of two coordinators who will report directly to the Program Sales Manager. The Import Logistics Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and ensuring a smooth customs process for our fresh produce imports – including land, ship, and air imports.
The coordinator will work out of the Ontario Food Terminal location full-time. Although the primary schedule for this individual is 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, our ideal candidate is able to work a flexible schedule in order to accommodate the needs of the business which may include occasional evenings and weekends.
Day-to-Day Tasks – 60%
- Build purchase orders and manage add on costs
- Create and maintain load ID data
- Modify appropriate revisions for recognition to Canadian Customs Broker
- Record all US/Canadian loads
- Create and maintain item codes in the ERP system
- Organize, update and communicate daily load arrival appointments and information
- Monitor container clearances
- Track and trace shipments
- Scan and appropriately manage documentation
- Inventory management of product for distribution customers
- Managing day-to-day cross dock and forward distribution business as required
External Communications – 20%
- Process custom documents for load entry to Canada
- Contact Shippers for all COS requirements
- Communicate with Freight Forwarders regarding container movement, crossings, updates, etc.
- Investigate and resolve customs broker issues with COS, permits, customers release, etc.
- Coordinate air shipment pick up with air freight transportation vendor
Internal Communications – 15%
- Regularly collaborate with sales and buying team members in order to address and resolve discrepancies with codes, prices and other information
- Correspond with operations colleagues to coordinate daily load receiving and resolve any issues
- Partner with 3rd Party Brokerage to coordinate daily loads, updates and manage and resolve any discrepancies
Customs Permit & Validation – 5%
- Ensure all permits are renewed and validated for entry to Canada
- Maintain current and up to date information on all government/CFIA requirements
- Demonstrated logistics/customs experience
- Current knowledge regarding import/export shipments requirements and regulations
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite; primarily with Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize our internal ERP software (known as FreshByte)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly in English
- Demonstrated organization and time-management skills to navigate a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail skills in order to ensure data accuracy
- A quick learner with the ability to adapt to a regularly changing environment
- Team-oriented with the ability to both take direction and be self-directed
- Strong interpersonal skills for interacting with external & internal contacts
The following are welcomed assets!
- Post-Secondary education in Supply Chain Management or other related fields
- Customs certification
Interested parties should apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note that Gambles Group is an equal opportunity employer located in a heritage building with our main office at 165 The Queensway, Suite 240. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.