Who are we?
At Gambles, produce is everything. Our business provides the widest assortment of top-quality fruits and vegetables for the wholesale, foodservice and retail sectors. With a history dating back to the early 1900s, Gambles has grown and evolved into one of the largest produce distributors in Ontario. Our goal is to not only be the supplier of choice for all of our customers’ needs, but also an employer of choice for “top talent” candidates and employees.
Our people are the backbone of our business, which is why we are continuously looking to develop our people and bring star talent into our teams. We have a “promote-from-within” mentality, which means we put extra focus on developing our people and on giving them unique career advancement opportunities. Just like our products and our customer base, we love to see our people grow.
We offer a competitive benefits package with employer-covered health and dental benefits and a company-matched Pension Program for our full-time employees who have at least 12 continuous months of service.
We operate out of two locations – the Ontario Food Terminal located at 165 The Queensway and our Distribution Centre at 302 Dwight Avenue.
The Ontario Food Terminal is Canada’s largest wholesale Produce Terminal. It ranks amongst the top four Terminal Markets in Canada and the United States by volume of produce distributed.
Gambles services a variety of customers out of the terminal including local farmers, local fruit and vegetable stores, independent supermarkets, restaurants, caterers, farmers’ markets, farm gate markets, florists, garden centers, landscapers, convenience stores and institutions and other foodservice operators.
Our Distribution Centre operation caters primarily to our program retail and foodservice accounts. These customers are looking for additional services including packaged and processed fruits and vegetables, and all orders are delivered directly to their door.
We are looking for a Junior Buyer Analyst to join our team in the unique, ever-changing produce industry. We need someone who is interested in produce and excited to build relationships with customers and suppliers while representing the Gambles brand. This role will report into our Buying team to support all aspects of buying/selling and analytics, as we develop ‘best-in-class’ processes to serve the needs of the customers.
The Junior Buyer Analyst will work primarily Monday through Friday and will work out of the Ontario Food Terminal location.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Understudy to a buyer(s) with primary functions, including issuing of PO’s to our suppliers, follow-up with Operations on issues, and communication to Sales on availability of product.
- Use your skills to provide analytical thinking and trending analysis on revenue, volume, and margin.
- Liaison with assigned suppliers to obtain product information such as price, availability, and market conditions.
- Take the lead on minimizing shrinkage/spoilage of fresh fruits and vegetables; work with buyers on quality and quantity issues; and lead time for orders.
- Using historical information, discuss strategies with our buyers to help communicate favorable sales opportunities to sales groups.
Candidate Requirements and Qualifications:
- Strong analytics background, with an intermediate level of Excel
- Entrepreneurial spirited, business background and strength with numbers
- Very good computer skills with previous experience using an ERP system
- Knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office 365
- College diploma or University degree would be an asset
- Previous produce knowledge and experience would be an asset
Competencies and Personal Attributes:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven problem solving and decision-making skills in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Ability to collaborate with team members at all levels
- Detail-oriented and well organized
We thank all those who apply for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested parties should apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that Gambles Ontario Produce Inc., is an equal opportunity employer located in a heritage building with our main office at 165 The Queensway, Suite 240. During the recruitment process, if you require any accommodation please email email@example.com in order to notify us of your required arrangements.