Who are we?
At Gambles, produce is everything. Our business provides the widest assortment of top-quality fruits and vegetables for the wholesale, foodservice, and retail sectors. With a history dating back to the early 1900s, Gambles has grown into one of the largest produce wholesalers in all of Ontario. Our goal is to not only be the supplier of choice for all our customer’s needs, but also an employer of choice for “top talent” candidates and employees.
Our people are the backbone of our business, which is why we are continuously looking to develop our people and bring super-stars onto our team! We have a “hire-from-within” mentality at Gambles, which means we put extra focus on developing our people and giving them unique career advancement opportunities. Just like our products and our customer base, we love to see our people grow!
We offer a competitive benefits package with employer-covered health and dental benefits (you don’t pay the premiums!) and a company-matched Pension Program for our full-time employees who have at least 12 continuous months of service.
Plus, we have a stellar Social Committee that works to plan fun events and activities to support our culture at Gambles! At Gambles you won’t just get a job, you’ll get a second family.
We have two locations which are both in Etobicoke, Ontario – the Ontario Food Terminal located at 165 the Queensway and our Distribution Centre at 302 Dwight Avenue.
The Ontario Food Terminal is Canada’s largest wholesale Fruit and Produce Terminal. It ranks amongst the top four Terminal Markets in Canada and the United States by volume of produce distributed.
Gambles services a variety of customers out of the Terminal including local farmers, local fruit and vegetable stores, independent and chain supermarkets, retailers, restaurateurs, food service, caterers, farmers’ markets, farm gate markets, florists, garden centres, landscapers, convenience stores and institutions.
Our Distribution Centre is a state-of-the-art 65,000ft facility that caters to our program retail and food service accounts.
As an Operations Clerk, you will be at the heart of our business. You will be accountable for performing daily administrative and clerical activities of the Shipping, Receiving and Transportation departments. The dedication and organization of our clerical team plays a key role in ensuring our products get to our customers in an efficient and timely manner.
This position will primarily work out of our distribution centre, located at 302 Dwight Ave, Etobicoke but may require flexibility to work at our main location – the Ontario Food Terminal at 165 The Queensway.
Your regular schedule will be 40 hours per week. All candidates must be flexible and available to work evenings, weekends, and early mornings.
- Preparation of all shipping and receiving documents
- Printing of all labels when required
- Maintaining accurate inventories of all supplies necessary for shipping and receiving
- Providing support to the transportation department by assisting with tasks such as dispatching and scheduling of trucks and drivers, as well as the collection of customer manifests and invoices
- Collaboration with warehouse staff to ensure orders are filled in an organized and timely manner
- Interfacing with the client and/or vendors for appointment scheduling and vendor issues
- Maintain a filing system for all shipping and receiving records
- Inventory control and general warehouse tasks when needed
- All projects and tasks assigned by the manager
- High school diploma or GED
- At least six (6) months of previous experience in a fast-paced environment
- Previous warehouse experience preferred
- Two (2) years of experience in a clerical role preferred
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate a positive “Can-Do” attitude
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented, well organized
- Ability to readily adapt and be flexible in a changing environment