At Gambles, produce is everything. Our business provides the widest assortment of top-quality fruits and vegetables for the wholesale, foodservice, and retail sectors. With a history dating back to the early 1900s, Gambles has grown and evolved in to one of the largest produce wholesalers in all of Ontario. Our goal is to be the supplier of choice for all our customer’s needs.
Our people are the backbone of our business! We have a “hire-from-within” mentality at Gambles, which means we put extra focus on developing our people and giving them unique career advancement opportunities. Just like our products and our customer base, we love to see our people grow!
We offer a competitive benefits package with employer-covered health and dental benefits (you don’t pay the premiums!) and a company-matched Pension Plan for our full-time employees.
The Junior Buyer Analyst will report directly to the VP, Buying & Buyer Mentorship.
This position will support our Buying team to build relationships with customers and suppliers while representing the Gambles brand. This individual will work primarily out of the Ontario Food Terminal location but will require the ability to travel to our 302 Dwight Ave. location regularly.
Although the primary schedule for this individual is 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, our ideal candidate can work a flexible schedule in order to accommodate the needs of the business which may include occasional evenings and weekends.
- Understudy to a buyer(s) with primary functions, including issuing of PO’s to our suppliers, follow-up with Operations on issues, and communication to Sales on availability of product
- Use your skills to provide analytical thinking and trending analysis on revenue, volume, and margin
- Liaison with assigned suppliers to obtain product information such as price, availability, and market conditions
- Take the lead on minimizing shrinkage/spoilage of fresh fruits and vegetables; work with buyers on quality and quantity issues; and lead time for orders
- Using historical information, discuss strategies with our buyers to help communicate favorable sales opportunities to sales groups
- Strong analytics background, with an intermediate level of Excel
- Entrepreneurial spirited, business background and strength with numbers
- Very good computer skills with previous experience using an ERP system
- Knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office 365
- College diploma or University degree would be an asset
- Previous produce knowledge and experience would be an asset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven problem solving and decision-making skills in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Ability to collaborate with team members at all levels
- Detail-oriented and well organized
Please note that Gambles Group is an equal opportunity employer located in a heritage building with our main office at 165 The Queensway, Suite 240. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.